- Ph.D. in Cognitive Systems (June 2012, Linköping University – Sweden). Thesis: ‘Modeling the Role of Energy Management in Embodied Cognition’ (advisors: Prof. Tom Ziemke and Dr. Robert Lowe).
- M.Sc. in Computer Science (January 2005, University of Skövde – Sweden). Thesis: ‘Towards navigation without sensory inputs: modelling Hesslow’s simulation hypothesis in artificial cognitive agents’ (advisors: Prof. Tom Ziemke and Dr. Henrik Jacobsson).
- M. Eng. in Electronic Engineering (major in Biomedical Eng.; July 2000, University of Bologna – Italy). Thesis: ‘Cerebral blood circulation during strokes: a modeling study’ (advisor: Prof. Mauro Ursino).
Calculus; linear algebra; physics; control theory; dynamic systems; robotics; biomechanics; biomedical engineering; mathematical modelling; information theory; computer science; electronics; machine learning; philosophy of mind; neuroscience; cognitive neuroscience; cognitive science; microeconomics; academic pedagogy.
Work Experience (excerpts)
May 2015 – current: Associate Senior Lecturer (Biträdande Lektor) at University of Skövde, School of Informatics – Skövde, Sweden.
- Project “Action and Intention Recognition in Human Interaction with Autonomous Systems (AIR)”, funded by KK-SIDUS.
- Lectures and seminars (Doctoral and Master level).
April 2013 – July 2015: Postdoc researcher at Aalto University, Department of Automation and Systems Technology – Helsinki, Finland. Supervisor: Prof. Ville Kyrki.
- Project “Multimodal Programming by Demonstration for In-Contact Tasks”, financed by the Academy of Finland.
- Lectures in “Human-Robot Interaction” (Master level); Supervision (“Instructor”) of Master students.
February 2012 – July 2012: École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) – Lausanne, Switzerland. Supervisors: Prof. Silvestro Micera and Prof. Dario Floreano.
- Scientific collaborator: organization of an European Master and Doctoral accreditation agency within the Education Activities Program of the Robot Companions for Citizens coordination action.
August 2011 – March 2012: University of Skövde – Skövde , Sweden. Supervisors: Prof. Vincent Müller and Dr. Ron Chrisley.
- Scientific collaborator: development of the EUCog Wiki for EUCog (European network for the advancement of artificial cognitive systems, interaction and robotics).
February 2006 – April 2011: Doctoral research at University of Skövde – Skövde , Sweden. Advisors: Prof. Tom Ziemke and Dr. Robert Lowe.
- Research in cognitive systems: robot energy and motivational autonomy.
- Lectures for the courses Adaptive Robotics (Master level, fall 2007 and 2008), Artificial Intelligence for manufacturing automation (Master level, fall 2007) and Artificial Intelligence (undergraduate level fall 2006).
September 2005- February 2006: Tre Emme Pi Elettronica S.p.A. – Rimini, Italy.
- Responsible for the post-installation optimization of a logistic plant, based on KNAPP conveyor and picking systems (automatic and manual mix).
October 2000-November 2001: Research fellow at International School for Advanced Studies, Biophysics sector – Trieste, Italy. Supervisor: Prof. Vincent Torre.
- Investigation on the feasibility of a prototype hybrid computing device formed by traditional electronic components and biological neurons (FET-EU grant “INPRO”); Experimental acquisition/computer analysis of electrophysiological signals using multi-electrode arrays; Theoretical analysis on the use of stochastic resonance in image processing.
Languages: fluent English, native Italian, basic Swedish;
Eager cycling, running, swimming, cross-country skiing and japanese shiatsu practitioner.