Work Experience (excerpts)
May 2015 – current: University of Skövde, School of Informatics – Skövde, Sweden.
- Researcher: project “Action and Intention Recognition in Human Interaction with Autonomous Systems (AIR)”, funded by KK-SIDUS.
- Associate Senior Lecturer (Biträdande Lektor): lectures and seminars (Doctoral and Master level).
April 2013 – July 2015: Aalto University, Department of Automation and Systems Technology – Helsinki, Finland. Supervisor: Prof. Ville Kyrki.
- Postdoc researcher: project “Multimodal Programming by Demonstration for In-Contact Tasks”, financed by the Academy of Finland.
- Lectures in “Human-Robot Interaction” (Master level).
- Supervision (“Instructor”) of Master students.
February 2012 – July 2012: École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) – Lausanne, Switzerland. Supervisors: Prof. Silvestro Micera and Prof. Dario Floreano.
- Scientific collaborator: organization of an European Master and Doctoral accreditation agency within the Education Activities Program of the Robot Companions for Citizens coordination action.
August 2011 – March 2012: University of Skövde – Skövde , Sweden. Supervisors: Prof. Vincent Müller and Dr. Ron Chrisley.
- Scientific collaborator: development of the EUCog Wiki for EUCog – European network for the advancement of artificial cognitive systems, interaction and robotics.
February 2006 – April 2011: University of Skövde – Skövde , Sweden. Advisors: Prof. Tom Ziemke and Dr. Robert Lowe.
- Research position/doctoral studentship in cognitive systems: robot energy and motivational autonomy.
- 100% research in 2009-2011; 90% research and 10% teaching in 2006 -2008.
- Lecturer for the master course in Adaptive Robotics (fall 2007, 2008), Artificial Intelligence for manufacturing automation (fall 2007), undergraduate course in Artificial Intelligence (fall 2006).
September 2005- February 2006: Tre Emme Pi Elettronica S.p.A. – Rimini, Italy.
- Responsible for the post-installation optimization of a logistic plant, based on KNAPP conveyor and picking systems (mixed automatic and manual).
October 2000-November 2001: International School for Advanced Studies, Biophysics sector – Trieste, Italy. Supervisor: Prof. Vincent Torre.
- Research fellowship: investigation on the feasibility of a prototype hybrid computing device formed by traditional electronic components and biological neurons (FET-EU grant “INPRO”).
- Experimental acquisition/computer analysis of electrophysiological signals using multi-electrode arrays.
- Theoretical analysis on the use of stochastic resonance in image processing.
- Ph.D. in Cognitive Systems (June 2012, Linköping University – Sweden). Thesis: ‘Modeling the Role of Energy Management in Embodied Cognition’ (advisors: Prof. Tom Ziemke and Dr. Robert Lowe).
- M.Sc. in Computer Science (January 2005, University of Skövde – Sweden). Thesis: ‘Towards navigation without sensory inputs: modelling Hesslow’s simulation hypothesis in artificial cognitive agents’ (advisors: Prof. Tom Ziemke and Dr. Henrik Jacobsson).
- M. Eng. in Electronic Engineering (major in Biomedical Eng.; July 2000, University of Bologna – Italy). Thesis: ‘Cerebral blood circulation during strokes: a modeling study’ (advisor: Prof. Mauro Ursino).
calculus, linear algebra, physics, control theory, dynamic systems, microeconomics, biomechanics, biomedical engineering, mathematical modelling of biological systems, information theory, digital data processing, computer science, electronics, machine learning, philosophy of mind, neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience, cognitive science, academic pedagogy.
Other Skills and Interests
Languages: fluent English, native Italian;
Computer and robot Programming;
Familiarity with MacOS, Windows NT/2000/XP, Linux;
Micro-electrode array data acquisition and analysis;
Eager cycling, running, swimming, cross-country skiing and japanese shiatsu practitioner.